Follow Green Cargo

​Green Cargo and Lineas respond to market demand for international rail shuttles

Press Release   •   Mar 19, 2018 10:00 UTC

There is considerable market demand for international rail shuttle services. Green Cargo and the Belgium firm, Lineas, have increased the number of train departures on the popular direct route, Belgium Direct, between Sweden and Belgium for existing and new customers. On January 12, the fourth shuttle started between the countries and volumes on the trains is increasing.

“We are creating an even better product by increasing the number of departures in both directions. With four departures per week we have increased availability and capacity, which facilitates customers’ freight planning. Customers gain faster shipments and shorter wagon turnaround times, which also increases the system’s efficiency,” says Lennart Johansson, Business Development Manager at Green Cargo.

Belgium Direct started on October 20, 2016 and is not only the fastest transportation alternative for wagon loads and intermodal units between Scandinavia and Belgium — it is also a more reliable and environmentally friendly alternative. It doesn’t just reduce road congestion, it also reduces carbon dioxide emissions by 70% compared with road transportation over the same distance.

“I am very happy with the positive development of the Belgium Direct. Together with Green Cargo, we want to ensure a stronger corridor between Sweden and Belgium. We see a specific and increasing interest from customers in the chemical sector, intermodal players, paper & wood, automotive. For Lineas, this product is part of our Green Xpress Network that we keep on growing in order to realize the modal shift towards rail. Thanks to the Belgium Direct, we can also offer other direct destinations to Swedish customers, for instance in France, the Netherlands and Spain”, says Sam Bruynseels, CCO Lineas.

To ensure a rewarding partnership, both companies are contributing their unique expertise and experience in international shipments, and in customer groups in the Nordic region and the rest of Europe.

On April 5, 2017, Green Cargo changed terminal for the direct route to Norra Hamnen in Malmö, thus providing customers with even more generous hand-in and pick-up times for more efficient shipments. Norra Hamnen will provide increased service levels with a broader coverage, favorable transit times and smooth handling using CMP Malmö as a hub.

“We are very positive to this increase in the number of departures in Belgium Direct and we look forward to continuing this productive partnership with Lineas and Green Cargo. We always aim to ensure we enable our customers’ growth possibilities and meet their needs for flexibility and good service, which this development is a good example of. We are proud to be part of this environmentally friendly transportation chain in Norra Hamnen in Malmö,” says Ann-Charlotte Halldén Åkeson, Key Account Manager at CMP.

Lineas is one of the largest private rail freight operators in Europe. The company has the ambition to realise modal shift towards rail. Therefore it provides quality rail services and door-to-door logistics solutions throughout Europe. Today, Lineas employs some 1,900 enthusiastic colleagues who together generate an annual turnover of nearly €500 million. Argos Soditic, an independent private equity group, owns 69% of the company. The remaining 31% is held by NMBS/SNCB. Headquartered in Brussels, Lineas has sites in France, Italy, the Netherlands and Germany. The group has a fleet of more than 200 locomotives and 7,000 wagons.

CMP, Copenhagen Malmö Port, is one of the biggest port and terminal operators in the Nordic Region and one of the largest Northern European cruise-ship ports. CMP is one of 83 European core ports, which have been designated by the EU as being of particular importance for the development of new transportation corridors in Europe.

Green Cargo runs 400 freight trains each day, which is equivalent to the capacity of approximately 10,000 truck transports. We serve 270 locations in Sweden and the major cities in Norway. In cooperation with other operators, we reach thousands of locations in Europe. Green Cargo is the only nation-wide freight transport company that meets the standards set by the Swedish Society for Nature Conservation for freight transports (Bra Miljöval). Green Cargo is owned by the Swedish state. The Group has approximately 1,900 employees and annual revenue of SEK 4,3 billion (2017).